Uganda: Environment Assistant
DRC is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
In Uganda, DRC assists the refugees from neighboring countries mainly DR Congo and South Sudan in the South West, West and West Nile region of the country. DRC’s assistance to refugees have been both emergency assistance to address the short term influxes from the neighboring countries as well as to address the sustainable solutions for the refugees. DRC is also the lead of a Consortium (Save the Children, ZOA, and CEFORD) for implementation of an EU Trust Fund project in Adjumani, Kiryandongo and Rhino camp
- The main purpose of this position is to support the quality, timely implementation of environmental conservation activities in compliance with DRC standards and budgets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Implementation and Planning
- Conducting environmental awareness campaigns.
- Supervising construction of energy saving stoves at household and institutional levels
- Responsible for the establishment of woodlots in the area of operation and maintaining the existing woodlots
- Maintaining the central nursery bed and ensure quality seedlings are raised.
- Mentor and train community environment workers in environmental related issues
- Work closely with Refugee Welfare Council, Local Environment committees, School ECO Clubs, Local Leaders and OPM in implementation of all planned activities.
- Providing technical support and guidance to Nursery bed workers
- Prepare timely activity, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Contribute to project planning, development of proposals and lessons learned processes
- Prepare and submit weekly action plan to the supervisor
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Participate in assessments, surveys, and other monitoring and evaluation and project reporting needs
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
- In collaboration with community representatives, undertake detailed situational analysis and propose appropriate project implementation approaches
- Assist in participatory needs/vulnerability and capacity assessments of affected communities
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results
- On request to perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- Adhere to the DRC code of conduct
The Environment Assistant is responsible and reports to the Environment Officer based in Adjumani
A University degree in Environmental Management, Environmental science, or Forestry from recognized Institution.
Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in implementing environmental conservation related activities.
Experience of managing and supervising staff.
Experience of working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations.
Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness.
Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
Good organizational and people management skills.
Ability to work in the field and should hold a Valid Riding license
· Knowledge of the local languages spoken in the operation area is an asset.
· Familiarity with Monitoring & Evaluation for UN-funded projects desired.
How to apply:
Applications should be in English and include the following:
A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
Please send your Cover letter, CV and Academic certificates by email email@example.com 10th July 2017 5:00pm clearly indicating position name in the subject line.
We thank applicants for their interest in the position however; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.