South Sudan: Energy and Environment Coordinator
Position: Energy and Environment Coordinator
Location: Maban – South Sudan
Duration: 9 Months
Reports to:Livelihoods Country Program Manager
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact.Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Working under the overall responsibility of the Livelihoods Manager, and directly under the supervision of the Livelihoods Coordinator the Energy and Environment Coordinator will lead the implementation of all Energy and Environment interventions in Maban. He/she is responsible for roll-out and implementation of project activities and facilitate quality impact-focus interventions. This includes provision of technical advice, capacity building of staff, as well as influencing policy and practice through research, analysis and advocacy and building resilience by linking to longer term programming. He/she will be responsible for the development, start-up, ongoing support, continuing development, and daily technical backstopping of all Energy and Environment activities under Relief International in Maban. He/she will also work closely with all team members, partners, counterparts and stakeholders in ensuring project outputs are of the highest quality and that expected results are achieved in a timely and efficient manner.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead assessments to identify gaps and opportunities to strengthen and expand Environment interventions in Maban including analyzing the functional chain that links the consumption of charcoal as cooking energy to deforestation and identify ways of mitigating these practices.
- Responsible for designing appropriate interventions appropriate to Maban context to improve charcoal production such as deployment of improved production technologies; switch to alternative sources of biomass, etc.; including reforestation programs.
- Responsible for research and design of current stove designs/models to suit user demands in terms of fuel type, access and cooking practices in both refugee camps and hosting communities.
- Provide capacity building training to staff and stove producers/entrepreneurs on improved charcoal production technology including construction/development of carbonization units, production of training Manual and User Manuals.
- Identify, develop and upscale business opportunities along the Fuel efficient cook stoves value chain.
- Develop and lead community sensitization and awareness campaign programs in inherent benefits in suing energy saving cook stoves technologies.
- Take lead in the development of Energy and Environment indicators and relevant monitoring and evaluation instruments and provide real time technical support to project staff through direct regular field visits.
- Ensures that RI provides quality services that meet Sphere and other international standards.
- Guide the team to ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and consistent with RI’s relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelor of Science Renewable Energy or Bachelor of Environmental Science and Natural Resources or a degree in a related field with commensurate work experience;
- Minimum of three years professional experience in lead management implementing Energy and Environment programs in an IDP/refugee setting;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Strong English skills, speaking, reading, writing are required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Relief International's Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
Transparency and accountability
Agility and innovation