South Sudan: Coronavirus cases rise to 156

South Sudan’s Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 36 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 156.

Dr. Richard Lako, Health Ministry’s Director General for Planning and Budget, told reporters in Juba that the 36 cases were confirmed positive after the ministry tested 282 samples in the last 48 hours.

He further said some of the confirmed cases are South Sudanese nationals who have been granted permission to travel to states from Juba.

Lako revealed that the confirmed cases include two Ugandans, one Kenyan and a Congolese national who were spotted at the Nimule border crossing.

“The ministry of health is now following the 154 cases and the total number of confirmed cases so far in South Sudan is 156,” he said.

Lako, who is also a member of the high-level taskforce on COVID-19, said the taskforce has approved the purchase of five refrigerators to improve sample collection and boost storage by the public health emergency laboratory.

“The taskforce also emphasized the continuation of collection of samples from five zones of Juba and the data has to be aggregate accordingly,” said Lako.

According to Lako, the high-level taskforce also directed the ministry of environment to disinfect markets, public and private transport.

The rise in coronavirus cases comes days after the high-level taskforce on COVID-19 decided to loosen lockdown restrictions in the country.

 

 

Source: Radio Tamazuj