South Sudan: Consultancy for the Development of IEC Materials for Livelihoods
Project/Consultancy Title: Consultancy for the Development of IEC Materials for Livelihoods Interventions
Consultancy Location: South Sudan
Relief International (RI) is a humanitarian, non-profit, non-sectarian and non-political agency that provides emergency relief, rehabilitation and development services throughout the world with a sole mission to reduce human suffering. We respond to natural disasters, humanitarian emergencies and chronic poverty. With legal standing both in the United States as a not-for-profit organization and in the United Kingdom as a registered Charity, Relief International implement programs in 19 countries across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
RI seamlessly blends humanitarian and development efforts so every program resolves immediate issues while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way — emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work for them — and for generations to come.
Currently, Relief International with support from UNHCR is implementing a one year Livelihoods, Environment, and Agriculture for Peace (LEAP) project in Doro and Yusuf Batil refugee camps. The project aims to strengthen livelihoods, improve local agricultural productivity, and reduce pressure on natural resources and the environment; in refugee and host community areas of Maban County, Upper Nile State.
Objective(s) of the Assignment
The main objective of this assignment is to develop, design and print information, education and communication materials (IEC) to raise awareness and adoption of food security and livelihoods interventions implemented by RI.
The specific objectives are :
- To develop farmer awareness materials in order to help the farmers understand the different good agronomic practices recommended for various crops.
- Develop IEC materials that communicate and raise awareness and adoption of quality sustainable fuel efficient and clean energy cooking stoves.
- Develop materials (brochures, leaflets, posters, booklets, flipbooks etc) for information and educational purpose for schools in regard to environmental conservation for primary and secondary schools.
- Develop materials (posters, brochures, leaflets, booklets, flipbooks, wall charts etc) for information, education and communication to the community on agriculture-focused nutrition (agri-nutrition) education and awareness creation.
Description of Work
The consultant in this assignment is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Conceptualize, develop layout, and design information, education and communication materials (leaflets, brochures, posters, flipbooks and job aids) which will focus on;
- Fuel Efficient Saving stoves
- Agronomic practices for selected enterprises
- Analyze the key characteristics and information needs of the targeted population and propose consumer awareness materials and suggest additional messages packaged to the local context.
- Test and validate the tools with the key technical RI staff to check for relevance of content and illustrations.
- Develop a feedback tool to assess the effectiveness/impact of the IEC materials to the targeted audience.
- The materials should have less description and more comprehensive illustrations that can be consumed by a wide range of readers. All descriptions will be developed in English.
The consultant is expected to provide the following outputs:
- Inception report – This report should outline in detail how the consultant/firm intends to implement the work in terms of activities. This should include the methodologies, implementation plan and timelines. It should also give an overview of the consultants understanding of the technical scope and intended goals.
- Forecast of the budgetary costs for the proposed activities.
- Draft IEC materials with illustrations messaged for the context in Maban for which RI will provide feedback.
- Final design layout of IEC materials including posters, leaflets, flipbooks, brochures, wall charts etc.
- A monitoring tool that provides feedback on the effectiveness of the IEC materials.
- Submission of final printed and electronic copies of all IEC materials to RI.
- Final report on the assignment/consultancy showing the methodology used, activities undertaken, timeframe of the assignment, successes, challenges, planned and unplanned results and recommendations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Submit technical and financial proposals indicating key experience of the consultant/firm in similar assignments. This should include the key expertise of each individual suggested to work on the assignment. Individual CVs of the team should be included.
- At least five years’ experience in designing and developing IEC materials with relative content as indicated above.
Please note: Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be processed prior to any closing date listed on any job board.