South Sudan: Agrinutrition Technical Officer
Position: Agrinutrition Technical Officer
Location: Maban – South Sudan
Duration: 8 Months
Reports to:Livelihoods Country Program Manager
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Through its Livelihoods and Agriculture for Peace (LEAP II) program, RI plans to establish an Agri-nutrition Centre that will operate as a hub to address nutrition related issues to the community in Maban. The Centre aims to transform food security into food and nutrition security and will operate as a multi-sector hub integrating agriculture, nutrition and health. The Centre will demonstrate nutrition behavioral change through agriculture as a means of addressing the prevalent cases of malnutrition. RI will introduce nutrition sensitive agricultural food-chain practices to address the causes of malnutrition, through supporting the improvement in agricultural diversification and nutrient quality of crops grown. The Agri-Nutrition Officer will therefore be responsible to support the running of the activities at the Centre by conducting training on key nutritional messages to households and communities in Maban. The Officer will be guided by the basic applied nutrition approach while conducting these activities for which they will have a strong background.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for coordinating and implementing agri-nutrition activities of LEAP II in Maban.
- He/She will integrate food and nutrition security into agriculture and coordinate the implementation of agri-nutrition security activities.
- Support the Improvement of nutritional status and intervention outcome of beneficiaries through increasing production and consumption of diverse safe foods, increased household food availability and gender sensitive interventions.
- Responsible for staff capacity building and technical support towards beneficiaries as they implement basic applied nutrition practices for dietary diversification and adoption of nutrient dense diets.
- Expand existent data collection, analysis and documentation processes to capture key nutrition related information from interventions in coordination with relevant sectors.
- Work with the M&E officer to monitor beneficiary adoption of the new nutrition targeted agricultural practices and food consumption methodologies.
- Promoting food safety including appropriate methods of handling, preservation, processing, storage and utilization of agriculture foods. Raise community awareness and consumption of diversified, nutrient dense, fortified and nutritionally adequate foods.
- Raise community awareness through dissemination and promotion/demonstration of agri-nutrition practices; food preparation and utilization; and energy and time saving technologies for women.
- Establish linkages and facilitating collaboration across relevant sectors, agencies and public stakeholders working with the targeted community.
- Promote water and sanitation activities at household levels critical to the nutritional well-being of the beneficiaries.
- Strengthen and promote community engagement processes in the project areas, particularly identifying project beneficiaries, assessing their needs and addressing and resolving their challenges as guided by the project objective.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University degree in Home Economics or nutrition other relevant disciplines with 2-3 years’ experience in agriculture-nutrition interventions. Experienced nutritionist with a background in implementing agriculture related activities.
- Experience with conducting agri-nutrition activities in humanitarian setting is essential.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, at all levels as well as the ability to report to and advise the team leader on emerging issues.
- People management skills.
- Able to work on own initiative with a creative approach to problem-solving.
- Community conflict resolution skills.
- Computer literacy with good knowledge of office applications is required.
- S/he must be willing to be based in the field and work closely with beneficiary communities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Strong English skills, speaking, reading, writing are required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Relief International's Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
Transparency and accountability
Agility and innovation