Yesterday, Public Prosecutor Moulana El Habr told the Blue Nile Channel that there was new information on the case of young activist Bahaeldin Nouri, who was abducted, tortured, and killed by Rapid Support Forces (RSF) officers last week.
Last week, unidentified armed men abducted Nouri near his home in El Kalakla. Later, his relatives found his body, which showed visible signs of torture, in Omdurman Teaching Hospital. His death sparked protests.
Later, the RSF admitted that the death of the activist occurred after he was detained by the militia’s intelligence department and announced that it had detained those who participated in the murder.
The prosecutor explained that a case has been filed to investigate the premeditated murder and kidnapping. He also indicated that he had now taken over the case.
Additionally, El Habr confirmed that the RSF have lifted the immunity of the officers who killed Nouri and that they will be subjected to investigation and interrogation on Thursday, before being sentenced.
El Habr emphasised that the trial of the defendants will take place according to criminal law and stressed his will to follow the correct procedures.
El Habr also explained that the first autopsy report was very different from the second and that an investigation committee has been formed to find out the reasons for this.
However, El Habr denied that the prosecution was halted and said that they had acted immediately after Bahaeldin Nouri’s family issued report to find out the correct information and details about what happened.
On Tuesday, thousands of people were present at the burial of the young activist at the cemetery of El Kalakla in southern Khartoum.
Source: Radio Dabanga