KENYA BEGINS WITHDRAWALS OF ITS TROOPS FROM SOUTH SUDAN UN PEACEKEEPING FORCE
NAIROBI, -- One hundred Kenyan soldiers who had been serving with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) have withdrawn from Wau, South Sudan, as Nairobi follows through on its decision to withdraw all of its troops from the UN peacekeeping force in the country.
Last week, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta ordered the withdrawal of troops in response to the sacking of the Kenyan commander of the UNMISS force, and an official from UNMISS has confirmed the withdrawal was underway.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon ordered the sacking of Lieutenant-General Johnson Kimani Ondieki after a special UN investigation established that a lack of leadership under his command had culminated in a chaotic and ineffective response to heavy fighting in South Sudan's capital, Juba, from July 8 to 11.
What is happening now is that the United Nations is deploying Nepalese soldiers to places in which Kenyans were deployed. On Wednesday, a (Nepali) company was deployed to Wau, a UNMISS sfficial said, adding that the UN was exerting efforts to fill the gap from other places.
Because the mission does not want to create a vacuum, the management has started pulling out troops from other areas and started deploying them to where Kenyans are leaving, he said.
Last Thursday, United Nations peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said he regretted Kenya's decision to withdraw its troops from South Sudan.
Source: Nam News Network