ETHIOPIA-SUDAN-EGYPT TALKS ON DAM MEETS IN KHARTOUM
ADDIS ABABA, -- Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt held tripartite talks in Khartoum, Sudan focusing on the contract documents aimed at allowing selected companies to begin their study on the impacts of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).
The three Nile Riparian countries met in Khartoum on Sunday Sept 18, announced the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity.
The three-day bilateral meeting will result in the signing of agreement following thorough deliberations on the proposed document.
It was earlier announced that the three countries will enter into agreement with the two French companies contracted to conduct the study on the dam.
An agreement between the countries will allow the companies to begin their actual work.
According to Engineer Teshome Atnafe, Cross Border Rivers Affairs Director with the Ministry, results of the three days discussion will give the French BRL, the main firm, 70 percent of the study while the other France-based Artelia sub-contracting 30 per cent of the task.
The director expressed his hopes that the Khartoum discussion will be fruitful.
Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt agreed a year ago to allow a study on the impacts of the dam on lower riparian countries.
The three countries will equally share the 4.5 million Euros cost of the study.
Visited by 197,113 people so far, the GERD is progressing well with public pledge to uphold support to the mega project.
Source: Nam News Network