AMMAN, Feb. 27 (NNN-Petra)–Agriculture Minister Khaled Hneifat will take part in the Third Arab Conference for Investment that will be held in Sudan during February 27-March 2.According to a ministry statement, the conference will contribute to enhanc…Read more
KHARTOUM, Feb 26 (NNN-SUNA)–The President of Sudan, Field Marshal Omer Al-Bashir has welcomed investors from all countries of the World including Americans.
He affirmed during a meeting with the visiting US businessmen delegation at the Guest House, Saturday, the concern of the Presidency of the Republic and the Higher Council for the Investment with investment and investors who come from all countries of the World.
Former Congressman and member of the delegation, Greg Laughlin said in a press statement, that they came to see opportunities of investment in Sudan and that they met the President of the Republic to inform him that they want to invest and to forward the American technologies to Sudan, adding that the President has told them that he wants to see better relations between Sudan and US.
He added the President has welcomed them with a full courtesy and that they told the President the delegation would visit Sudan again for further interaction between American and the Sudanese businessmen and companies.
State Minister for Investment, Osama Faisal said the President asserted to the delegation of the American businessmen Sudan welcome to investors from all World countries including American investors .
He pointed out that the meeting underlined the World desire to make use of Sudan’s Investment opportunities and tremendous resources.�
Source: Nam News NetworkRead more
JERUSALEM : Israeli authorities have rejected a request from Human Rights Watch to grant a work permit to its regional director, accusing the group of engaging in Palestinian propaganda, the group said Friday.The decision was Israel’s latest step again…Read more
At the request of the government of Benin, a team from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), led by Norbert Toeacute;, Mission Chief for Benin, visited Cotonou from February 15 to 22, 2017, to finalize discussions with the authorities on a three-year …Read more
PARIS � The French government and UNICEF are urging the international community to step up protection of children living in and fleeing armed conflict that affects tens of millions of youngsters.
Tuesday’s conference was a chance to take stock of progress made since a decade ago, when Paris hosted a similar meeting. But especially, it was a time to urge the world community to do more.
French President Francois Hollande described how the photo of the body of drowned Syrian toddler Aylan Kurdi, who washed up on a Turkish beach, fueled a drive to welcome more refugees in Europe and elsewhere. But that has proved ephemeral. Since then, he said, many more children have died to general indifference.
The United Nations estimates more than 200 million children live in conflict zones. Tens of thousands have been killed, conscripted as child soldiers or forced to become sex slaves. In South Sudan, thousands now risk starvation, with conflict a key driver.
President Hollande did note bright spots. Tens of thousands of child soldiers have been liberated in recent years, including more than 8,000 in 2015.
Closer to home, he called on Britain to take in underage migrants with families across the Channel, following London’s decision earlier this month to cut the numbers it had originally promised to accept from Europe.
Hollande also alluded to the new U.S. administration, which reportedly plans to cut funding to the United Nations and other international bodies. He said international laws and institutions must be respected, along with the idea of working together on behalf of the world.
Source: Voice of AmericaRead more
WASHINGTON � A draft of President Donald Trump’s revised immigration ban targets the same seven countries listed in his original executive order and exempts travelers who already have a visa to travel to the U.S., even if they haven’t used it yet.
A senior administration official said the order, which Trump revised after federal courts held up his original immigration and refugee ban, will target only those same seven Muslim-majority countries – Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan and Libya.
The official said that green-card holders and dual citizens of the U.S. and any of those countries are exempt. The new draft also no longer directs authorities to single out – and reject – Syrian refugees when processing new visa applications.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the order before it’s made public. The official noted that the draft is subject to change ahead of its signing, which Trump said could come sometime this week.
Asked about the revised order, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the document circulating was a draft and that a final version should be released soon. The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Wall Street Journal also reported that the current draft of the revised order focused on the seven countries but excluded those with green cards.
Trump’s original executive order triggered chaos at airports around the world, as travelers were detained when the order rapidly went into effect, U.S. permanent residents known as green-card holders among them. Attorneys provided legal assistance to those held and protesters descended on the airports as news of the order’s implementation spread. In its original form, the order temporarily suspended all travel to the U.S. for citizens of those seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days.
The original order also called for Homeland Security and State department officials, along with the director of national intelligence, to review what information the government needs to fully vet would-be visitors and come up with a list of countries that can’t or won’t make the information available. It said the government will give countries 60 days to start providing the information or citizens from those countries will be barred from traveling to the United States.
Even if Syrian refugees are no longer automatically rejected under the new order, the pace of refugees entering the U.S. from all countries is likely to slow significantly. That’s because even when the courts put Trump’s original ban on hold, they left untouched Trump’s 50,000-per-year refugee cap, a cut of more than half from the cap under the Obama administration.
The U.S. has already taken in more than 35,000 refugees this year, leaving less than 15,000 spots before hitting Trump’s cap, according to a U.S. official. That means that for the rest of this fiscal year, the number of refugees being let in per week will likely fall to a fraction of what it had been under the Obama administration’s cap of 110,000.
Earlier this month, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco refused to reinstate Trump’s ban, unanimously rejecting the administration’s claim of presidential authority, questioning its motives and concluding that the order was unlikely to survive legal challenges. The pushback prompted Trump to tweet “SEE YOU IN COURT!” and he has since lashed out at the judicial branch, accusing it of issuing a politically motivated decision.
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Saturday that Trump is working on a “streamlined” version of his executive order banning travel from the seven nations to iron out the difficulties that landed his first order in the courts.
Speaking at the Munich Security Conference about combating terrorism, Kelly said Trump’s original order was designed as a “temporary pause” to allow him to “see where our immigration and vetting system has gaps – and gaps it has – that could be exploited.”
He said the Trump administration was surprised when U.S. courts blocked the executive order and now “the president is contemplating releasing a tighter, more streamlined version” of the travel ban.
Kelly said this next time he will be able to “make sure that there’s no one caught in the system of moving from overseas to our airports.”
Kelly mentioned “seven nations” again on Saturday, leading to speculation they will all be included in Trump’s next executive order.
Trump’s order sparked an immediate backlash and sowed chaos and outrage, with travelers detained at airports, panicked families searching for relatives and protesters marching against the sweeping measure – parts of which were blocked by several federal courts.
Protests were held across the country, including in sight of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in New York City, and at international airports where travelers were temporarily detained.
Source: Voice of AmericaRead more