17 killed, 10 injured in Boma inter-communal clashes
At least 17 people were killed, 10 wounded and 104 others are reported missing in inter-communal clashes in parts of South Sudan's Boma State since last week Thursday, an official said.
Boma State local government minister Natabo Abraham Nyitaak told Radio Tamazuj that the clashes which were ongoing until Saturday evening broke out when heavily armed Murle youth attacked a neighboring community in Nachumajori area near Jebel Boma County on Thursday afternoon.
According to the report I received, 2 were killed from Jie and 15 from the attackers. We have 43 women and 61 children missing. Up to now, it is confirmed that 60,000 cows and over 140, 000 goats and sheep were raided, he said.
Abraham claims the attacks were well organized, saying Murle youth had been mobilizing in Jebel Muruo area for weeks. He further claims that officials and army generals in the state and Juba are behind the attacks.
We in the state government are divided along ethnic lines so no one can talk about these attacks. We are appealing to the national government and UN to intervene, Natabo said.
The state official also appealed to the aid agencies operating in the country to intervene as locals' livelihoods were destroyed.
For his part, David Yau Yau, the Boma State governor confirmed the incident, describing it as a normal practice among the pastoralist communities.
Last month, at least 51 people were killed in attacks in Boma's Jebel Boma County.
Source: Radio Tamazuj